Sunday, October 07, 2012

It's About Time!

So, as I sit here dumbfounded at how long it's been since my last blog post, I am at the same time energized by what God is stirring in the world around me.  My last post was on 9/11/2006, which was the 5 year anniversary of 9-11.  Now, a little over 11 years later, that particular day is a distant memory in a lot of ways.  However, it is still one of the pivotal events of my lifetime in terms of re-focusing our nation on our Creator.

"Coincidently", I happen to be studying the book of Genesis in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) this year, which is giving me a thorough review of exactly who our Creator is.  In fact, He is many things.  Too many to discuss in this blog in one sitting.  After all, He created everything.  The most amazing part of that fact, however, is not that He created everything...from nothing...by simply speaking it into existence.  It's that He created it for a purpose...He created me for a purpose...He created you for a purpose...

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:10-14

What is our purpose?  Work.  Men, we are here to work.

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
Genesis 2:15

I have been convicted that too much of my life revolves around entertainment.  TV, Basketball, Golf, Video Games, playing games with the kids, etc.  None of those things are all bad.  However, they all take time away from things that need to get done.  They lead to laziness and self-centeredness, rather than selflessness and fulfillment.  I am missing out on God's best when I seek entertainment in the place of work.  I do believe that God wants us to enjoy life, but I think the lie is that enjoyment should be entertainment.  I believe enjoyment (or joy) should be in our work which leads to fulfillment and ultimately pleasing God by doing what we were created to do.

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

Each day, I need to re-orient my thinking around Christ, receive joy from the grace He has extended to me and do my best at what God has called me to do.  In so doing, God will bless my work and multiply the harvest!  (that's a teaser for the next blog post... stay tuned!)

No comments: